Fundamentals of Sailing Class
- Duration: 2 Days (approx.)
- Location: Brooklyn, New York
- Product code: FUN - Reg
Ideal for folks looking to learn or refresh their sailing skills in a short period of time.
Course Description – Fundamentals of Sailing
2-day over the same weekend course.
This 18-hour course is designed for those who want a thorough introduction to the exciting sport of sailing. We follow the US Sailing Curriculum and offer US Sailing Certification as an option for an additional cost. Graduates will have a good understanding of all the basics and with additional practice will become competent crew members.
- Fundamental sailing terms
- Practice fundamental knots
- Being part of the crew
- Rigging the boat
- Finding the wind direction
- Setting sails
- Sail trim for various points of sail
- Tacking & gybing, heaving-to
- Overboard recovery techniques
- Basic right of way and navigation rules
- Preparing and returning to a dock
- De-rigging and cleaning up the boat
Instructional time: 15.0 hours practical + 3.0 hours of shore briefings
Pre-requisites: No prior sailing experience required, high interest in learning how to sail
Certifications: ONE°15 Brooklyn Sail Club Certification, optional US Sailing Certification (US Sailing Certification able to be purchased after confirmation e-mail for Class is received)
Textbook: Basic Keelboat Sailing, 4th Edition, US Sailing (we supply at no additional cost to the student)